As term 3 gets busier and busier, I haven’t had a lot of time to delve into hobby projects. However, with Father’s Day coming up, I have been looking at the Cricut maker to make a Father’s Day card.

We actually have just one Cricut maker in the library, and it’s a computer-controlled cutting machines designed for home crafters used for cutting paper and other materials. You can also use it to draw, for example, it drew and cut this adorable cat card for me~

There’s a lot of beautiful templates as well, but most require premium access (which the library has).

isn’t this beautiful?

Right now Ms Norman is the only one who has access to the machine. But if you ask her nicely, she would definitely let you have a go.

Another piece of technology I have been checking out is GeoGebra. After years of only touching Desmos, I’ve finally had to download GeoGebra for my Specialist investigation. Mr Haydn taught us how to draw Bezier curves on there, and I also tried restricting the domain and range for a function, something that I’ve never tried doing on Desmos or my graphics calculator. Something interesting about Bezier curves is that they are often used in computer graphics to produce curves which appear reasonably smooth at all scales. It powers tools such as the Illustrator curvature tool, which I found quite fascinating (imagine maths actually being relevant in our daily lives?).

So that’s what I’ve been up to! What have you guys been doing lately? Anything fun (like new games, new hobbies)? Anything interesting (new discoveries, new things learnt)? Feel free to share!

What have you been up to?

7 thoughts on “What have you been up to?

• September 8, 2021 at 7:17 am
    Permalink

This term I have been very busy with schoolwork, so I have not done much gaming and the like. However, I have recently downloaded Candy Crush which is a great, relaxing game to play to chill and have a break from schoolwork.

Reply
  • September 7, 2021 at 1:03 pm
    Permalink

I never knew we had a Cricut maker at school! I actually wanted one since I’m interested in printmaking and making stickers but decided against it due to the price.

Not too long ago I found someone that animated with Desmos, which I still don’t fully understand, but it somewhat links to your work with GeoGebra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvBq3K50u8&ab_channel=Junferno

I’ve been trying to animate with Adobe Animate. I’m not fond of the program, I find it not very intuitive but that might be due to me not knowing what I’m doing :p

I’m also doing some more filming and editing for Creative Arts, Media Team, and just school events in general. I enjoy doing it a lot even though my wrists hurt by the end of the day. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

Reply
  • September 7, 2021 at 12:29 pm
    Permalink

I haven’t done much in terms of DT, mainly because my DT subjects were last semester. However, I have been busy prepping for the Subs in Schools competition later this year. Subs was a subject last semester, but the competition was planned for later this month. However, the competition has been postponed to November because the royal show has been cancelled. I did not really build the submarine, but I did drive it in the water!! It was pretty difficult so I don’t think I will be driving it in the competition but it was great fun!!!

Reply
  • September 7, 2021 at 12:26 pm
    Permalink

I haven’t really done much in terms of DT, mainly because my DT subjects were last semester. However, I have been really busy prepping for the Subs in Schools competition later this year. It was originally in September during the royal show, but since the show has been cancelled, the comp will be next term. I have been pretty excited for it, and although I do not build the submarine, I did drive it in the water though !!

Reply
    • September 7, 2021 at 12:28 pm
      Permalink

that’s really exciting!

Reply
  • September 1, 2021 at 9:52 am
    Permalink

Recently, I have been super busy with school work. But, I downloaded an app called Subway Surfers. It’s a pretty fun game to play during some free-time that I get when I don’t have homework! I would recommend it if you enjoy an endless running game!

Reply
  • August 31, 2021 at 8:49 pm
    Permalink

That cat card looks so cute! I just found this Bezier curve game that’s helpful if your looking to practice using the pen tool: https://bezier.method.ac/ (though after that spec investigation you’ve probably had enough of Beizer curves lol)

Recently, I have been learning new lighting software for my gigs with Prospect city council! I mostly use Onyx performance software but I am also learning Grand MA 2’s software. It’s a complex interface to learn but I am getting the hang of it with more practice!

Reply