This term the Digital Technology Committee girls decided to get involved in a range of different projects. These are some of the making, coding and 3D printing projects that they have started in the Maker Space.

But now that we’re doing online learning at home, I’m wondering what technology the DT Committee members have found interesting while they’ve been in isolation.

Have you found an online game to help you stay connected while in isolation? I haven’t been playing an online game but I’ve been filming my lessons with Loom. I’ve relaxed with Home-30 days of yoga. I want to improve my knowledge of Adobe Illustrator so I’m doing the online tutorials. My goal is to be to create successful files for the laser cutter.

How about you? Have you found an online game to stay connected with others? Do you know of a game that the DT Committee girls could play until we return to school? Tell us about the technology or making things have you found interesting?

Please leave a comment so we can stay connected.

What have the DT Committee girls been up to?
Tagged on:                 

13 thoughts on “What have the DT Committee girls been up to?

• May 5, 2020 at 1:54 pm
    Permalink

During the school shut down, I was playing around with red stones in MC. My friend I was figuring our how to build a ferris wheel but it was too hard so we ended up building an automatic farming machine.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:48 pm
    Permalink

During the school closure, I had been playing a lot of games online, include Shadowspect:
    https://gbakimchi.herokuapp.com/junebug/
    this is one that Mrs Rooney introduced last year.

I often watched my friends play online games whilst I drew digitally with my drawing tablet. we used Webex to stay connected.

Out-of-school friends were contacted with Instagram since we all used it regularly and it was the fastest sort of communication we all had.

With international friends, I used discord servers, and even with the range of timezones, it was still fun getting to know more people.

I messed around with some adobe apps; Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and PremierePro. I used Premiere primary to edit the Summer Intercol video whilst the rest was mostly for school purposes.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:46 pm
    Permalink

During the holidays and the days I stayed at home and took online class, I still communicated with friends through Webex and social media. I also played online chess and had an online chess competition at home. I did some coding and 3D printing at home too as a part of the DT activities.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:41 pm
    Permalink

In the holidays, I’ve been using different social media such as Webex, messages and Instagram to contact my friends. I’ve been playing games on https://skribbl.io/ with my friends.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:39 pm
    Permalink

I’ve used different forms of social media and games to keep in touch with my friends. One of these games is called ‘Scribbl.io’, which works as an online Pictionary where you get given a word draw and everyone has to guess what you’re drawing. This game is really fun, as you can implement custom words, and it is a good way of having fun and keeping in touch. Other ways of keeping in touch include face-timing to talk to each other.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:39 pm
    Permalink

During quarantine, I have played games such as skribble.io which is a great game to play with friends! I have also tried to relax with yoga and calling friends. I also watched a lot of Netflix, like most people but I used Netflix party to watch Netflix with my friends!

Overall, social media and zoom is a great way to connect with friends over this time. We played many games online like multiple card games together which was really fun.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:33 pm
    Permalink

Throughout the holidays I have been keeping in touch with friends and spending more time with family. I have been playing online games with friends and talking through face times and chats. We have been playing scribble.io and other online games. I have also been going on lots of walks.

Reply
  • May 5, 2020 at 1:28 pm
    Permalink

I have been talking with my friends through Webex chats and calls. My friends and I have been playing skribbl.io to keep in touch and play games in isolation.

Reply
  • April 24, 2020 at 5:09 pm
    Permalink

I’ve been keeping in touch with friends through social media. Thanks to social distancing measures, I’m now very good at navigating through content on social media. On a more serious note, I’ve been wanting to learn how to code for quite some time now – so I’m finally getting a brief start on that.

Reply
  • April 22, 2020 at 5:35 pm
    Permalink

I hope you’re all surviving the oddity that is going on at the moment. It’s important that you find ways to stay in touch with each other. Here’s a couple of options to stay social and intellectually active at the same time.

Many of my year 9’s will know about this but:
    https://skribbl.io/ is a great Pictionary style game that’s lots of fun. It’s free and you’ll get all the mechanics after 1-2 rounds.

If you’re after something that will really stretch your mental muscles try Factorio. You and your friends crashland on an alien planet and you need to design and build an industrial infrastructure to launch a rocket. Don’t pollute too much or the local aliens will come visiting. It’s available on mac or PC. Here’s the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI
    Unlike Skribble.io, it’s not free unfortunately.

What is free is Unity. Ever wanted to make your own games? It allows team-based programming so you don’t have to build on your own if you don’t want to. A modern game-making engine with real programming using C#. Start by looking up Brackey’s tutorials on YouTube or the one’s provided by Unity.
    https://unity.com/

I hope this provides some creativity! Please let us know in the comments what digital stuff you’ve been upto!

Reply
    • April 23, 2020 at 8:12 am
      Permalink

Hi Mr. Egan
      thanks for your reply and the links to the games. We should add these to the student resources page on our blog. I’m wondering if any of the DT Committee girls have any experiences with using these games? Please leave a reply.

Reply
      • April 24, 2020 at 5:12 pm
        Permalink

I’ve used skribbl.io on several occasions before – it’s quite fun! I’ve gained access to a masterlist of (free) multiplayer online games – happy to share that if anyone would like a copy 🙂 Alternatively, you can also watch movies with friends through Netflix Party. Another extension for Netflix which I’ve found quite helpful is Learning Languages with Netflix. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Reply